Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pickin'

It's becoming a tradition to go pumpkin pickin' in October.  We went last year to a delightful farm in Indiana and had so much fun, we decided to do it again here in Texas.  I saw an ad for this particular farm about 30 minutes from where we live, so we packed up the kids and headed off to Dewberry Farm.  The place was busy!  They had several attractions for all age levels: hayjumps, corn maze, lots of food, pig racing, and a petting zoo.  Pip immediately made a beeline for the pony rides and petting zoo.  She LOVES horses, but was slightly disappointed that they weren't horses- only ponies.  What kid knows the difference?  Anywho, we convinced her otherwise, until she spotted one of the farm workers on a "real" horse and insisted that she be allowed to ride that one.  We humored her and let her pet the horse. 
Here's her on the "fake" horse-y ride
Check out that grin
The "petting" zoo wasn't really "petting" friendly, but enjoyable nonetheless.  You could stick your fingers through the cages and poke the animals (only if there wasn't a sign that read, "No fingers allowed"  which was only on the pig's cage)  Pip loved the baby chicks and apparently one took a liking to her too!
After the pony rides and petting zoo, we walked over to the pumpkin patch.  I suppose the drought didn't help the pumpkins this year because it was basically pumpkins on a lawn- but hey, it worked for us.  We skipped the tractor hayride since I didn't want to leave my stroller in the stroller parking lot.  I tried to set up a cute little pumpkin backdrop to photograph my kids in, but B was sleeping and Pip had too much fun trying to pick up pumpkins.  After a short search, we finally settled on the perfect 12lb pumpkin for my jacked up Jack-O-Lantern (I cannot carve a pumpkin to save my life and yet I try...every year...) and snapped a few pictures.  
<>
Can I have this pumpkin, pleeeeease?


Is this the perfect pumpkin?
Yep, this'll do!
We picked out little pumpkins for our little "pumpkins". 
Farmer Piper and her little pig
Waiting to ride the ponies.  I commented to Bob that it certainly did NOT feel like Fall.  I think it was like 85degrees (thank goodness for the breeze or we would've roasted) and the leaves haven't even changed.  I'm sad now, but I know come winter when everyone I know is cursing snow, I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt running through the sprinklers!
I decided to dress B in a cute little "farmer-ish" outfit.  I wore this when I was a baby!
Obligatory sister pic- Pip has started taking a special interest in B and wants to take pictures with her and lay on her.  It's cute until someone starts crying. 


3 comments:

Laura said...

Fun! I love, love, love the one of Piper hugging the pumpkin. She seriously is SUCH a cute kid. And her hair has gotten longer!

mcamp said...

As always cute as can be!

irasema said...

so sweet and cute! you have adorable children :D and i love those parents too!