Sunday, October 10, 2010

P is for PUMPKIN!

I love October. I love Halloween. I love Fall. and I absolutely love pumpkins. Buying a pumpkin is like buying a Christmas tree, both equally enjoyable and fully festive! One thing I have always wanted to do was go to a for real pumpkin patch. NOT a "pumpkin patch" that's just pumpkins thrown on a lawn, but a bonafide straight off the vine pumpkin patch. So this past weekend, I was in search of "the patch".

On Friday, we went a local B'Town patch. However, the pumpkin patch consisted of beautifully arranged pumpkins on a lawn. Not exactly festive, but well worth the effort. There was a barn with a few animals and a really, really old horse. We bought 2 pumpkins.

On Saturday, feeling unfulfilled in my quest to find "the patch", we headed down south about an hour away to Loogootee, Indiana. We got this flyer at a gas station for Lark Ranch-it boasted u-pick pumpkins, tractor ride, petting zoo, pony rides, food, and 3 corn mazes. Lark Ranch did not disappoint. We had so much fun and it was cheap! The pumpkin patch went on for acres and the pumpkins were perfect. They had gourds and my favorite: the Cinderella pumpkin (white pumpkins). I wanted to buy every pumpkin. We ate hot dogs, funnel cake, and cotton candy (my favorite). Pip loves horses so I took her on a horse ride. She got to sit on a a tractor and pet a pig. So much fun! We didn't do the corn maze because it was dark and we forgot a flashlight. I could and would go back again...

However, the drive there is...quite an adventure. First, Loogootee is literally in BFE and Google gave the WORST directions ever. We should've just followed the directions on the flyer. Honestly, it's deliverance country...at one point I could hear the banjos. Secondly, the roads were poorly marked, unpaved, and one-lane. There was one spot where someone hand wrote the street sign on a poster board with a big arrow pointing west. Thankfully, we did not go on that road. For anyone that's seen horror movies, you never go down a road with a handwritten sign. The scenery was lovely though. The road followed the crest of a hill so you could see brightly colored tree tops and lakes. Just lovely. On our way home, we went the correct, more civilized populated way and the drive wasn't near as much fun.

What a fun, pumpkin-filled weekend adventure!

2 comments:

irasema said...

How fun! I love fall and all it's lovely colors! but you knew that :D
piper looks adorable and so do you!

Jessica said...

Lesly, you look fantastic! I love the fall and everything that comes with it.

Canning? Wow--you go girl! Back when we were in the 29th ward, I tried canning tomatoes and salsa. I was POOPED by the end--it was overwhelming. So kudos to you!

I really enjoyed reading the last few "year" posts and then the final 30. Way cool idea! I cried and laughed in many of the parts. :)