Tuesday, October 18, 2011

House Hunters

After receiving our renewal notice on our apartment and discovering that it would cost us quite a bit to continue renting, we began an abbreviated house search.  Luckily, Bobby and I had already done most of the legwork and selected the homes we wanted to see.  My realtor, Charo (who I LOVE dearly, she's so nice and has a very kind heart), and I set out on a mad dash to find the perfect house.  I told her from the start that my home was in this mix and that we were going to find it.   Due to our short time frame, I agreed to visit the homes during the week and then if I liked them, I would schedule a 2nd tour for Bob.  Our budget ranged from $165-230 and we were willing to do moderate fixing up.  I drove all over greater Houston, navigated the most convoluted interstate system, put an extra 600 (plus or minus) miles on my car, and saw about 20 homes.  We narrowed them down to these 3.

Guess Which House Is Ours?

When I walked into this home, I immediately told my realtor, "This is my house!"  I was overjoyed and quickly called Bob to tell him about it.  We discovered it had already entertained 4 offers and was now looking at its 5th offer, but we were allowed to return for a second visit so Bob could see it.  After we toured it, we found out that the offer had fallen through and that it was still available.    At the very top of our budget, we worried that the sellers wanted full asking price ($229,900).  Could it be...could this be my house?

This home was an interesting one.  It's located in a neighborhood that I wanted to live in, but had already decided that the area was out of our price range (think $250-350,000).  This little gem ( over 3,000sqft/5 bedroom/3full baths) came on the market at $199,900 and our realtor informed us that we could easily get this home for $190,000.  It was a fixer upper- kitchen, bath, carpet, etc.  But at that price and having so much living space, it was hard to ignore.  I saw this home first and didn't get wowed by it, but it still lingered in my mind.  I took Bobby to see it and did another walk through. 
I fell in love...again.  Even more with this one than the house pictured previously.   I started envisioning the new kitchen and wood floors, the girls having gigantic bedrooms, cooking in the massive kitchen with my "cookies and cream" granite.  Could this be my new home?


This home was another rogue addition.  It's in another neighborhood that we discounted due to high entry level, but after crunching our numbers, we discovered that this neighborhood was actually cheaper because of it's low tax rate and no HOA fees.   This home was exactly our style- Craftsmen cute- and fit our budget at $225,000.  However, it was significantly smaller and less grand than the other homes we had seen and were considering making an offer on.  My initial reaction to the home was, "It's a good house."  I could see our family living here, but I couldn't shake that it read a little "townhome-y, apartment-ish" to me.  But I could see us living there and making a few minor changes- mostly change the carpet to wood floors.  The neighborhood was super cute and all decorated for Halloween.  My realtor commented that this neighborhood was like a storybook Christmas village.  Up until this afternoon, we were going to make an offer on this one.







Unfortunately,  NONE of them will be my new home.  And I'm still wiping away the tears.

We crunched numbers, worked and reworked the budget,  prayed and prayed some more.  But, we couldn't make a decision.  The bottom line is: We want a home.  We want those homes.  However, we don't want to stretch ourselves thin and leave nothing for a rainy day and it seems that rainy days like to visit our home often.  I know that had we made a decision to purchase one of those homes that everything would've been okay.   It would've been fine. 

So, we're taking a step back to decompress.  We signed on to our lease until May and we'll resume our house search again in March.   I'm sad.  I can see why people get emotional about buying a house.  You wrap up all your dreams and memories into a home.  And when it doesn't work out, you're left with a lot miles on your car and a few more gray hairs from Houston's interstate system and horrendous traffic. 

Our home is out there 
(and honestly, we've got great taste! I mean, really, did you see those homes?  Talk about nice! I wish you could have seen the inside.  I also never noticed how symmetrical each home is- Can you tell we like symmetry?)

4 comments:

Laura said...

It IS an emotional process! It's even more emotional on the tail-end when you try and sell your house that you fell totally in love with over four years and have tons of good memories. Then no one wants to buy it. It breaks your heart.

Bethany and I ran into a guy on the train yesterday that lived in the greater Houston area growing up and he said houses there are really affordable! He said you can get a lot of house for a really good price, and based on what you showed here, I would have to agree! Hopefully you can find just the right thing next spring.

Kate said...

Aww Lesly, I'm sorry! Buying a house is so fun and draining all at once... it is so fun to imagine yourselves living there and all the things you want to do with it, and you totally get attached to those homes! It's only fun it it works out the way that you want it too, and even then it takes a lot of time and energy to pull it off! And when it doesn't work out the way you want it to, then it's just downright frustrating! Hang in there. I'm sure you already know this, but there must be a perfect home waiting to come on the mark for you in March. :)

mcamp said...

You will find it. I know it is frustrating and I myself was crushed and cried on a few of them but when the time is right everything will fall into place. I think it's better to wait and save your money this coming year.

Jessica said...

Bummer! I'm glad you talked about saving for some rainy days---we know our share (as does anyone else) of those, and we have been so glad we kept that in mind BEFORE they came. Buying is a big step, and it looks like you've got your head on your shoulders. Your home is out there--and you WILL find it! When you do, you will be glad you waited.

P.S. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL pics, by the way, not that you needed to hear that. We live in a stucco neighborhood (not that stucco is bad--it is just so cookie-cutter blah so its nice to see some gorgeous homes for a change).