Wednesday, October 13, 2010

FLASHBACK: Trip to Nauvoo August 2010

I was looking through pictures and realized I never documented our trip to Nauvoo. How could I have forgotten? I know...life was pretty crazy around that time. First, Bobby was coming home from his internship in Texas. Second, my in-laws were making their very first trip to B'town and staying at our house. Third, school was starting back up. August is always an insane month at our house, so a vacation was in order. I had never been to Nauvoo and Bobby hadn't been there in 25 years. The drive was interesting. We drove through corn field after corn field, a massive wind farm, and followed the mighty Mississippi. We passed through several tiny towns (in one town we saw 2 little boys sitting on the front lawn just watching the train go by and waving at the few cars that passed, too funny!) When we finally arrived in Nauvoo, I was surprised by how quiet it was. Apparently, the BYU performers had just left so the town was in desperate need of tourists. We were one of the few families there so we got VIP treatment from all the tour missionaries. We learned so much about the city and its rich, vibrant history.

Bobby and I did a session at the Nauvoo Temple. We got to take a mini tour of the Temple and look at artifacts from the 1800s. We both agreed that this Temple was absolutely beautiful and bright. Pip loved peeking through the gates at the Temple and running around smelling all the flowers.

This trip is when I think Pip discovered a fascination with horses. Her Opa took her to see the horses across the street from where we were staying. For the rest of the weekend, it was "horsey, horsey!"

We went on a wagon tour of Historic Nauvoo. I loved listening to the stories of pioneers and the history of the buildings. We had a chance to ride on the trail leading out of Nauvoo that the Saints used when they left for Salt Lake. I looked back and could see the city that these Saints had built and felt such sadness for them, it was a real sobering experience.


The Sculpture Garden behind the visitor's center was so beautiful. Our favorite was called "Fulfillment". Piper loved the one where the children are playing "Ring Around the Rosy". She wanted to get in on the action. It was cute watching her twirl with the statues.

One of our last stops was a visit to Carthage Jail. To me this held the same reverence and respect as the Vietnam Wall.


After visiting Nauvoo, both Bobby and I had a new respect for our pioneer ancestors. Nauvoo was such a beautiful and peaceful place.

1 comment:

tracyp said...

I love it there. We live only about 3hrs from there and don't make it up there enough. Glad you were able to go.