Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

This whole week Bobby and I have been watching the 9/11 specials and rewatching the decade old newsfeed brings me back to that sunny Tuesday 10 years ago...

I woke up early to go up to the University of Alabama for reasons that I don't remember- could be a class or turning in an assignment.  The day was clear, sunny, and warm. I did whatever I needed to do and instead of staying up at the school and waiting until my 11 o'clock class, I headed back home.  I was driving through downtown Northport when I decided to turn on the radio to the local Top 40 station.  I was surprised because I heard Tom Brokaw's voice and he was talking very quickly and nervously about something- I remember there was a lot of panic and matter of fact to his voice, but I also remember thinking "Why is Tom Brokaw on my morning radio show?"  I actually thought it was a joke- you know how radio shows will sometimes call people and pretend to be Santa Claus or play random soundbites-so I turned that station to another radio station- the local rap station- that I knew, for sure, wouldn't have Tom Brokaw's voice on it.  I was wrong- Tom Brokaw was on every station.  So I listened.  And I heard that a plane had accidentally hit one of the World Trade towers.  At that moment it was ruled an accident and everything was under control, firefighters were responding and rescue efforts were underway. Everything was fine.  Not to worry.

I arrived home and immediately went to find my parents to tell them what I heard.  I found them with their eyes glued to the television with a look of pure shock.   No sooner could I get the words out of my mouth to ask what was going on- I saw it.  I saw the second plane hit the tower.  I remember thinking, "Was that just a plane that hit?"  I really thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. My dad muttered something.  My mom started crying.  At that point, it was clear that something was terribly wrong.   We watched the news. Beyond the 2 hijacked planes that struck theWorld Trade Towers, 2 other planes were hijacked and crashed: 1 into the Pentagon and another in rural Pennsylvania- rumored to have been headed to the White House.  I can't remember my exact feelings from that moment- just shock, worry, fear, mostly fear. I don't even remember if I cried. 

The remembrance of the rest of the day's events are shoddy at best.  I went back to school for my 11 o'clock class- we were doing something with computers and Lewis and Clark.  Everyone was talking about what happened that morning.  It was a blur.  At my evening class, I remember a girl getting up and walking out, cell phone in hand.  I remember the teacher saying something really terrible to us about focusing on her class instead of what happened in New York-we were in Alabama after all- and chastising the girl who left.  Turns out, she had family in New York City and had been unsuccessful in trying to reach them  until that moment.  I don't remember her ever coming back to school.

The next day I was beginning my teacher practicum at a local elementary school.   I remember going to the school and the teacher telling me to not mention the events of yesterday.  The children filed in and began their morning routine- which included saying The Pledge of Allegiance. 

I swear to this day:  The Pledge of Allegiance never sounded so sweet and bitter at the same time.  At that point, I remember my eyes filling with tears...

I pledge allegiance
to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands
One Nation
Under God
Indivisible
With Liberty
and
Justice
For All

I don't think I can ever forget that day.  It took me a long time to think it was okay to laugh and feel unscathed.  There's always a lump in my throat when September 11th draws near.  My mind, even 10 years later, can't wrap around the magnitude of what happened on that day, the countless lives that were lost, and the bravery exhibited by many of the first responders.  I respect and honor the soldiers who have been fighting in the war that resulted from this event.  I am proud to be an American. 

No comments: