Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Can I Have a Do-Over Please?

You know that feeling when you're changing the biggest poopsplosion diaper ever on the planet and you pull out a wipe only to realize it is your very LAST wipe?  That's how I feel about today. 

I am having an internal meltdown of epic proportions.  But to really understand why today stinks, I must start from the beginning:

I am slightly deaf in my right ear.  About 4 months ago, I noticed that my ears were really waxy.  My OBGYN chalked it up to a surge in hormones and that once I have the baby then my ears should return to normal.  They haven't.  In fact, the right ear has become progressively worse to the point where my hearing fades in and out.  A few days ago, my ear started draining stinky fluid and my entire jaw line throbbed.  I went to one of those Minute Clinics where I was prescribed with ear drops and told that my ear just had a lot of fluid in it.  Well, I used those drops and now I can't hear out of my right ear- like you have to talk to me either facing me so I can read your lips and facial expressions or stand on my left so I can hear you-other than that you are  muffled and I'll smile and nod.

Because my ear is messed up, sounds are one dimensional and I'm off kilter- balance, memory, attitude.  I'm just off.

Today I invited my friend and her daughter to go with us to the Children's Museum.   I should've stayed home.  First, we were running late.  Then I took Piper to use the potty.  While sitting on the toilet, she peed all over her underwear because I didn't push her far enough back on the potty because I was wearing Brynn and it's really hard to gage distance with a baby strapped to your chest.  I forgot to pack extra panties in my carry-on diaper pad changer thing, but I had a diaper.  So I wrestled with whether or not to put my fully potty trained child back in a diaper, go back to the car to get a new pair of underwear, or hand dry the wet underwear and put it back on her.  I opted for the diaper.

She played well and I had fun talking with my friend.  Then Brynn got hungry, so I nursed her but she gets so distracted that she only nursed a little and remained fussy.  My friend and I decided it was time to go home.  Unfortunately, Pip wasn't ready and I had to drag her kicking and screaming out of the play area while holding onto Brynn in the other arm.  After wrestling with Pip, she threw herself onto the floor.  I had to dead lift her one-handed and carry her out of the playarea.  I was so embarrassed.

At this moment, I had been doing a good job of maintaining my sanity and a pretty calm demeanor, but on the inside I wanted to scream.  I was having an inner meltdown.  I apologized repeatedly to my friend about being so off and that I'm normally not this way.  I blame my ear for all of this!

Editor's Note:  this post was written about Friday, Sept. 16.  Since then I had my ear irrigated and can hear like a normal person.  I didn't know how deaf I was!

3 comments:

mcamp said...

I'm sorry, I know what it's like not to be able to hear out of one ear it isn't fun

Kate said...

I'm glad your ear is better! That's so weird! I'm almost deaf in my left ear, so I can permanently only hear people on my right... but it doesn't throw off my balance at all. :)

BTW, TOTALLY did the same thing with Hannah and the underwear at church one week. Except her pee shot up onto her underwear AND all over my skirt. It was soo awesome. I think she went back to nursery in just her dress with nothing underneath, haha, and I just smelled like urine the rest of church.

Good thing tomorrow always another day, huh?

Hannah said...

I am so sorry! I can relate to almost everything you posted about. Dead-lifting unwilling, screaming, flailing toddlers is the worst. I know it is little consolation at the time, but seriously everyone whose opinion matters has been through it all before. At least it was only Pip for now!
And the ear thing, mine was nowhere near as bad... I was belt-sanding walls for seriously 4 days straight in July with ear plugs, and I still lost most of my hearing in my left ear. It was awful. Everything was distant and muffled, and my ear felt constantly blocked, which gave me a headache. And then if I happened to contemplate what it would be like to have permanent hearing loss I would cry for hours. So, of course that happened every.darn.day. Fortunately things have now, two months later, returned to normal. Isn't it wonderful to be able to hear?