Thursday, May 26, 2011

This Bed is Just Right!

Guess who got a new big girl bed?!? Pippy!

With the new baby coming in only a few weeks, we needed to transition Pip to a big girl bed. We've been talking about it for a long time and told her that when we get to Texas, she would sleep in her big girl bed. Well, it arrived yesterday and Pip was excited, but very cautious. We spent the day shopping for the bedding. Seriously, I went to 5 stores. I bought a really pretty white quilt at Marshall's. Bed Bath and Beyond was the last stop. I found very little in the color and style I wanted. Selling out, I picked up red sheets just like the red sheets she had on her crib. I really didn't want solid red sheets. So I continued to look and found some cute Amy Butler sheets on clearance. Amy Butler is a fabric designer and she designs using really fresh colors that mix modern/vintage patterns. BUT, it was for a twin extra long and the colors leaned towards the salmon, green, aqua palette- not exactly our red, white, and black colors we had in the nursery. I bought them anyway and Pip picked out a blue squish pillow.

When we got home, Pip told me to go make her bed while she watched Dinosaur Train. She's getting very bossy. I wanted her to be a part of the whole bed making process. Oh well...After making the bed and rigging the sheets to fit perfectly, it looked pretty darn good with the black furniture and surprisingly with the red curtains. It looks like it belongs in her room.

We had out first night in the big girl bed. It started out rough. We set up pillows and blankets on the floor for when she falls out and put all her "friends" on her bed. I let her sleep with her blankie so she had something familiar. BUT she still cried and cried. Bobby laid with her for an hour and when he left, she started bawling. So I went in there and laid with her. She told me she wanted to sleep in mommydaddy's bed. I gave her an ultimatum: She had only 2 choices: Sleep in her big girl bed or sleep in her baby bed. Then I said, but if you cry when I leave and I have to come back, I'm going to put you in your baby bed and that's it. Her response: I want my daddy. Very funny kid, I told her that daddy would do the same thing and then I told her that we prayed that Heavenly Father would watch over her while she slept in her big girl bed and then I gave her some of her "friends" to hold, told her to snuggle up little one, and I love you.

NOT A PEEP, from the room. She was out. This is what I saw when I went to wake her up:

All smiles! She didn't even fall out of the bed! Yeah, for first night success.

3 comments:

mcamp said...

she's getting so big! and the picture from the end of the bed makes it look huge

irasema said...

YEY PIP!!!

tracyp said...

yay!!!