Monday, September 27, 2010

21 in 2001

2001

Well, here I am at 21. My first year into the 20's. I was thinking today how insignificant 30 actually is and that turning 31 is a far greater achievement. I liken 30 to staring at a pool of icy cold water and 31 is taking the plunge into said cold water. So here I am at 21.
I'm a senior at UA and completing my final year of student teaching/practicums. This picture is important for 2 reasons. First, it's a head shot for my teaching bio. Each teacher candidate had to take a picture of themselves for interviewing purposes. We had to fill out bio sheets and attach our pics to them so prospective employers could see what we look like and get a "feel" for our personality, etc. Our cohort professors wanted our picture to convey a positive persona, a "twinkle" so to speak. I think I twinkle in this picture.
Secondly this picture is important because Bobby had this picture up in his cubicle at GEICO.

21 was a fun age. I graduated college, got my first teaching job, and moved to Georgia all by myself. Being 21 did sort of feel like stepping into a pool of ice cold water. This is when I became an official grown up with bills and responsibilities. I'm in awe just thinking about it...Was it really just 9 years ago that I grew up?

1 comment:

tracyp said...

Funny that now I look at other 21 year olds and they seem too young to.do just what we all did. And I love that picture, you are twinkling!