Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Twenty-Two Nothing New

2002

A rare find...this is 1 of 2 pictures taken exactly on my birthday! The cake is courtesy of my friend Megan-who would later become my roommate. I was teaching 3rd grade at Springdale Elementary in Macon, Georgia. I believe I'm a few weeks shy of meeting Bobby, but I can't really remember. I know I met him before Halloween. Besides meeting Bobby, dating Bobby, getting engaged to Bobby...22 was a ho-hum year. Hmmm...I know something else happened.


Wait! I bought my very first car when I was 22. How could I forget? I bought my trusty Toyota Camry all by myself no parent co-signer needed! I still have that car. In fact, it just hit 130,000 miles this week. Another fun tidbit about the car and being 22, is that I bought the Camry because I was planning for the future. ie kids, carseats. I remember saying that I wanted a "family" car. Looking back...I wish I had gotten the sporty silver Honda Accord V6 Coup or the cobalt blue Acura RSX. Why I was thinking "family" at 22 is beyond me. If I could go back, I'd tell my 22yr old self that a family wouldn't come for another 6 years, so splurge on the fast car since now at 30, I've convinced myself that a Swagger Wagon is in my very near future. *sigh* I'll never get that fast car. *sigh* and double *sigh*


Really though, 22 was a tough year. It was my first official year of teaching. I stunk. I wasn't very good at teaching. I was alright, but nothing special. I struggled with discipline and lesson plans. I think back to it and wonder, "How the HECK did I survive?" But I did.

2 comments:

Kate said...

haha, I love your thoughts about car buying. and in the photo below, you definitely have that twinkle you were talking about!

Jenn Miyamoto said...

I'm really enjoying this little walk down your memory lane!