Thursday, November 5, 2009

Failure to Launch


For the last 3 almost 4 years Bobby has been a college student. He recently graduated from BYU with his bachelor's degree and now we are at IU getting an MBA. I was asked recently by a fellow MBA wife: When you got married, did you ever expect to be putting your husband through college? Here was my response:

Not exactly, you see when I first met Bobby he had an AMAZING job and a really nice, very sexy car. I was instantly attracted. You see I had been dating/engaged to another guy who was planning on going back to school to be an acupuncturist. I had broken it off with him when I graduated college because and I quote "didn't want to be putting my husband through college. I wanted a stable husband who knew where he was going." So when I met Bobby, I was smitten. He had a job, he had a car, and presumably he had a house-well not exactly.

See, I will never forget when Bobby invited me over to his house for dinner. I remember driving through a very nice neighborhood of large colonial/traditional homes and just beaming at the thought that my man has a job,a car, and a house. Oh Lordy, I have died and gone to heaven! Not exactly, we pulled into the driveway and in the garage was an older person vehicle: you know like a Lincoln or Cadillac. I can't remember. And I thought "hmmm, how strange." Then we go into "his" house and there greeting us at the door were Bobby's parents. He LIVED with his parents and slept in a twin bed and his mom did his laundry. I had no idea. I was thinking I had hit the jackpot.

Fast forward 2 years, Bobby tells me he wants to go back to school full time and get his degree and that I would be his "scholarship" aka working my butt off to put him through school.

So now Bobby has no job, no car, and no house. But he does have a really spiffy bus pass. Gotta love a man with a bus pass!


ps. Bobby was 27 when we met. So that means he was 27 when he lived with his parents. Putting it into persepctive for you.

2 comments:

Lesly said...

Hey!! I was caring for my elderly parents. There isn't anything as honorable as that.

Bob

Emily said...

Sounds JUST like "Failure to Launch"! Funny!