Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Thought Always Occurs to Him

With Bobby living in Houston this summer and me flying solo, there are moments I wish he were just minutes away. But, he is not. He's more like 20 hours away. I can't wait for him to be home. I can't wait for him to fill the empty, quiet spaces of our home. I can't wait to hear his voice and know he's in the next room. I miss him. His girls miss him. So when I decided to go alone to the McRae Family reunion to see Mount Rushmore, I was a little bit sad he wouldn't get to be in the family shots and wear our obligatory yellow reunion T-shirt.

HOWEVER

*I wasn't aware that while I was taking solo "family" shots at Mt. Rushmore, Bobby had hopped on a plane earlier that day.
*That while I settled in for the night, snuggling my little baby in the bed with me, he was driving from Rapid City, SD in a shiny, white Suburban.
*Little did I know that while I dreamed that my husband was home with me, he was pulling into the gravel drive of the cabin we were staying at.
*To my surprise, I felt the air shift around me and someone standing over me. I opened my eyes, to discover that Bobby had decided to come to the reunion after all.

The thought had occurred to my husband to come to South Dakota even if it was just for a day and sadly...even if I ended up being sick the whole day in was in South Dakota. He was there. He had surprised me. He pulled through for me. Because that's what you do when you love someone, you do the unexpected.
and yes...he was very lucky that as he stood creepily above me in the darkness, he did not get punched in the face or kicked where the sun don't shine.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awwww! He is so sweet! That is one of the nicest things I've read today. So glad you got to spend some time together on your trip. And glad he didn't get punched/kicked too.

Laura said...

Awesome! Sounds like you got a keeper. I hope you're not sick anymore and I'm glad Bobby didn't have to go to the hospital from injuries. :-)

Kate said...

what a great story!

Jenn Miyamoto said...

That's wonderful! So glad you were able to be with him for a little bit.

mcamp said...

awww how sweet, I did wonder, as I read "you felt the air shift" and there he was, if you'd gotten startled. That's one of my biggest fears to wake up and see someone beside by my bed. Good thing you didn't hit him. I'm sorry you were sick!

Sara said...

That's just what I was thinking! I was have been shocked!

What a great guy to surprise you! It will be nice to settle back into life again this fall.

Jessica said...

What???!?!?!?! That is THE cutest thing I have heard a husband do in a LONG time. What a keeper. Make sure you give him a big smootch when you are finally reunited!