First, I want to say that I have lived in several college towns. Up until I was 15, I lived in Charleston, SC- which is hands down the most charming, amazing place to live. Then I lived in Tuscaloosa, AL until I was 21-fun town only during football season. After that, I moved to Macon, GA and lived there for 4 years-nice place, vintage neighborhoods,but sleepy and deserted downtown. Most recently, I lived in Provo, UT-one of my favs because of the mountains, shopping, and weather. Currently, I live in Bloomington, IN. And can I just say...I love this town.
Today, I took Pip downtown because I needed to drop off a pair of pants at an alterations shop (which is super inexpensive and the owner was so friendly). We parked just in front of the courthouse and walked the short 1/2 block to the shop. I have never been in such a bustling downtown area-well outside of a big city like Atlanta. There were people everywhere-walking, biking, strolling, eating, and shopping. I felt very urban strolling along the sidewalks and almost wanted to linger longer just to let everyone know that- "Hey, I live here too and it's really cool to walk downtown!"
Downtown Bloomington is a shock to anyone who has preconceived notions of what a small town is like. Bloomington is not a metropolis-we don't have a GAP in our mall and we're like an hour away from interstate access. Bloomington is a gem tucked away in southern Indiana. It's rural, it's city, it's college-all rolled up into one.
Indiana University's campus is A-MAZING! It's gorgeous. Imagine- huge, gothic limestone buildings nestled in dark, green woods with a creek meandering its way through campus. Breathtaking. Oh, did I mention the plethora of parks and trails. When the weather is nice-your outdoor options are limitless.
I had my reservations coming here, but I could stay here for another year or 2, if I just had to.
3 comments:
You painted a picture of it so well, now I want to go there, too! I'm glad you're loving it!
well next time we're up there you'll need to take us around!
We love it too! So glad you are here and my VT!! I just got all excited about your almond roca recipe, you trixter!
Post a Comment