Sunday, March 21, 2010

Procrastination


Since I am now a stay at home mom, I do odd jobs to earn money. One of the jobs I've been doing is called K-Lead: grading videos for a business professor at IU. Basically, students have to "sell an idea" to a boss and then engage in a group discussion involving some ethical dilemma. The students are video taped and graded on business behaviors and ability to use persuasive tactics to solicit buy-in from a boss or group members. It sounds terribly fascinating and important- but it isn't. After grading about 4 videos, it suddenly becomes clear that you would rather do anything else than watch the videos. Even the lure of 20 bucks an hour isn't enough to get and stay motivated.


Here are the things I did, instead of doing K-Lead:

*watched BYU play basketball

*changed diapers

*baked 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies from scratch

*watched the timer on the oven while baking said cookies

*went outside for walks

*looked out the window and wished I was walking

*went on vacation to DC

*made a schedule of watching videos and grading

*drew all over schedule

*eventually threw schedule away

*started a new, improved schedule

*clocked-in and out and wondered "Why does the time stamp round ahead 2 minutes worth?"

*checked FB and yahoo mail about a bazillion times

*went downstairs for water, juice, soda, milk

*used the bathroom frequently because of drinking too many beverages

*brushed my teeth, brushed Piper's teeth, brushed Boo's teeth-if I could I would've brushed Bob's teeth

*checked on Bob in the living room and asked "Whatcha doin?" every 5 minutes

*Fantasized about what I could do with the money I earned doing K-Lead

*Napped

*wrote Limericks for each family member

*Stared at the computer, willing myself to watch yet another video

*Wrote this blog post

No comments: