Wednesday, December 9, 2009

6 Month Check-Up

Piper went for her 6 month check-up with a cardiologist today. They looked at X-rays and an echo cardiogram taken a few weeks ago to make sure that the metal coil is still in place and her PDA and hole are healing correctly. It's hard to believe that 6 short months ago, Piper had heart surgery. Looking at her now, you'd hardly even know what she's been through-which in her tiny life has been quite a bit. I also want to give a shout out to Primary Children's Hospital in Utah and to her current pediatrician here in Bloomington. Primary's for being wonderful and taking amazing care of Piper and her current pediatrician who had the forethought to include Piper in getting an RSV vaccination- apparently it's not offered to all- only to those with heart and lung conditions and preemies.

Pip's prognosis: ASD (heart-lingo for hole in the heart) healed on it's own
PDA (heart-lingo for extra artery) closed and metal stint firmly in place, in a few short years it will slowly become part of her body and no one will ever know she has a tiny piece of metal in her heart.

3 comments:

mcamp said...

Oh I'm so happy to hear that! I can't wait to see her for Christmas I miss her little face!

Kate said...

That's great! I can't imagine how stressful it must have been for you guys to go through all of that with her, but I'm so grateful for modern medicine and that she's fine! :)

Emily said...

That's so good to hear! I'm glad she's healing well.