Once Thanksgiving dinner was over, I started decorating the house and yard for Christmas. Opa helped me put the lights up on the trees and the bushes in the front yard. We opted to NOT hang lights on the house this year due to budget constraints and fear of heights. Next year, we'll light up the house Griswold family style.
Then I had Bobby take down the 5 boxes of Christmas decorations and began decorating the house. I didn't realize how well-behaved Piper had been the past Christmases with all the decorations within kid reach. Brynn had some sort of vendetta against this penguin family I had on the coffee table and would knock them over every chance she got.
| The sweet little penguin family. They don't look so menacing, do they? |
Piper managed to follow my only rule (and in retrospect, Brynn followed it too...sort of): "You can only play with (not manhandle) the soft Christmas decorations not the hard ones." However, Piper couldn't resist the village scene and decided to add her little touches here and there.
| TRICERATOPS! Aghh!! |
We used the plastic, homemade, and sentimental ornaments we've collected over the last decade (those would be placed very high obviously), candy canes, Christmas cards, mini stockings, and multi-colored lights. The result was quite possibly the most beautiful rag tag Christmas tree full of memories and the best part: nothing was broken- taken off the tree a few times by little hands, yes, but nothing broken.
| I love my tree! |
Earlier in November, I bought tickets for the local dance company's production of the Nutcracker. My intention was that it would be a fun Daddy-Daughter date night. Piper got all dressed up and went with her daddy to see her first ballet. She was super excited to spend time with her favorite guy and super excited to see some dancing. Beforehand, I showed her the commercials for the Houston Ballet's Nutcracker and talked about the story line with her so she could understand a little bit of what was going on. After the ballet, Bobby and Piper came home with McDonald's (P's favorite). They had a nice time and we plan on making it a tradition for years to come.
| All dressed up for her big date with daddy! |
Our community is fabulous and just about every weekend there was something going on. We met up with a few friends and went to hear the Houston Symphony's Holly Jolly Christmas spectacular for FREE! Despite it being about 80 degrees, I definitely got into the Christmas spirit. This event doesn't happen every year, so I'm glad that we got to go.
After we attended the symphony, Bobby jetted off to New York City. He saw some tourist-y things, but mostly he was held up with conferences and business meetings.
| Rockefeller Plaza |
While Bobby was gone, I was busy doing more Christmas-y things. Ms. Latsamy invited everyone over for a Christmas party and to make gingerbread houses. We used graham crackers and regular frosting plus lots of sugary candies. I couldn't resist eating the candies while Piper decorated.
And later in the week, I helped with Piper's preschool class Christmas party/program. Piper's class sang "Roo Roo the Red-Nosed Kanga" a play on the traditional "Rudolph" and then we ate pizza, played some games, and decorated sugar cones to look like Christmas trees. The kids had blast!
| My little Roo Roo |
| Green frosting galore |
| Magnolia 1st Ward Winter Wonderland |
![]() |
| Miss Molly's Baby Shower |



No comments:
Post a Comment