The Potty
I have only one fear when it comes to raising my toddler: Potty training. (Can I just hire someone to potty train her?) So back in February, Bob and I bought Pip a potty and started "casually" using it. Pip enjoyed the novelty of it, but wouldn't pee in it. March rolled around and we were still in the "Getting to Know your Potty" phase. Things were going well until she had to have surgery on her foot and wear a full leg cast the entire month of April. Unfortunately, we couldn't start right back up again because May was spent learning how to walk again and moving to Texas.
In June, I decided to hit potty training hot and heavy. Things were going well. Pip had a sticker chart and for everytime she went, she got to earn a tv show. This was short-lived and it became a battle of wills to get her to go. I was constantly asking her "do you need to potty?" I swear I would ask her a billion times a day. She would get so frustrated with me and tell me "no" only to pee all over the floor. Then she would think it was funny and laugh. After losing my patience and committing the cardinal sin of potty training: I yelled at her. I decided to take a break indefinitely.
In July, we welcomed Baby B. About 2 weeks in to my new life of mommy hood, I noticed Pip wanting to use the potty again. So what could be considered insane by many, I decided to resume potty training 2 weeks postpartum. And we've had success!
Pip goes by herself. She likes to close the door for privacy and empty her potty into the toilet. Sometimes, she has accidents mostly if she doesn't get on the potty in time. Currently, we're practicing staying dry during nap times. Our next step is teaching her how to use the mommy-potty and running errands. We use a sticker chart and for every 8 stickers she earns a prize. For the first 2 weeks, she earned her Thomas the Train train set. Now she can earn a prize of her choosing. So far, she's chosen a fish nightlight and a Lightening McQueen race car. She also requested her own fish/fish tank...I think we're saving that one for a big potty achievement like no accidents or staying dry from nap time for X number of days. I'm really proud of her and hope to be potty trained by the time she starts her Mommy's Day Out Preschool in September.
The Super Secret Hideout
Pip discovered a new super secret hideout in our bathroom: the laundry chute. My hamper is too big to fit in it, but it's the perfect place to hideout with her animals. She'll play for a good chunk of time in there.
And drumroll.....In between all of this, someone turned 1 month old.
No comments:
Post a Comment