Saturday, July 30, 2011

Don, You Really Let Me Down

On Wednesday, Bobby and I went to Wal-Mart to prepare ourselves for Houston's first coastal threat:  Tropical Storm Don who was slated to make landfall sometime on Friday night.  We bought copious amounts of emergency-ish items and spent an obscene amount of money all to secure a little peace of mind. 

For those who don't know:  Tropical depressions/storms in general aren't a huge threat:  rain and wind mostly.  But we needed to prepare since Bob works at the utility company and there was a chance he would have to be at work during/after the storm 24/7.  At his company, whenever there is a tropical threat, they make a decision whether or not to implement the emergency plan, which is:  all hands on deck.  What that means for me is that I'll have to brave any tropical storm or, heaven forbid, a hurricane BY MYSELF!  Yikes!  I wasn't looking forward to that at all especially with a newborn.  But I guess you do what you have to do.

Thankfully, Don looked like he was headed south of us and Houston would get some much needed rain (we've been in a drought since February).  This morning, I noticed the clouds were getting darker and the wind was picking up.  I was excited that a good, long rain was in our forecast. 

WRONG:  It rained this morning for about 15 minutes- enough to wet to my pinkie toe and it wasn't a result of the much anticipated Don (he wasn't making landfall until around 8pm).  After it rained, it was blue skies and abundant sunshine.  At least the temperature was a cool 90degrees. 

What a disappointment- rain wise.  Sanity and safety wise-  I'm glad the storm wasn't worse and I didn't have to brave it alone. 

No comments: