Sunday, April 10, 2011

Packing, Packing, and More Packing!

Why is it that packing, no matter how hard you try, never goes smoothly? Well, for starters, being about 7 months pregnant does not help the situation. The entire month of April will be spent packing and decluttering as we prepare for our big move in May. When I look at the calendar the moving date seems far away, but when I think about it...it's only like 3 weeks away and that is right around the corner! This past weekend was spent making some money- we sold our Lazy Boy furniture for pretty close to asking price and then had a garage sale with some friends. I priced everything to sell and we made about 47 bucks in about an hour. The garage sale didn't last long since we had a huge rainstorm blow through. I was kinda bummed, we could've sold most of our stuff and made at least $50. I was surprised by what actually sold- VHS tapes. Yep, those ancient cassettes were my biggest money maker. People buy such crap and they want it for near nothing. I've determined that garage sales are more work than what they are worth. I basically paid for my moving boxes. My plan of action for moving is to tackle one room/task each week. Last week, I did the books and DVDs. Most of the books will stay in storage until we move into a house. I refuse to unpack and repack those suckers in the same year. This week, it's finish packing all the wall art and pictures. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might pack some kitchen stuff that I don't use regularly. The house is starting to get that "not my home" look to it. We have no living room furniture and what's left in the living room-bookshelf, table lamp combo, and tv stand- will be sold or given away. Our family photos are packed and the decor items I used to have were sold at the garage sale. I fool myself into believing that each move gets easier, but it doesn't. I get sad everytime I start to clean out an apartment and remove the bits of our family from the walls. But our new home is begging for us to come live in it, decorate its walls, and fill it with memories of us.

3 comments:

mcamp said...

seems like it's coming quickly-good luck with packing!

Kate said...

Packing is so much work, especially when you are pregnant! We moved into our current house when I was 32 weeks along with Hannah, and I remember how exhausting it was! You're smart to plan it out and work through it little by little!

Jenn Miyamoto said...

Phew! I got tired just reading through your post! Good luck with packing and moving. And don't push yourself too hard!