Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tale of 2 Feet


Who knew feet needed so much attention? I just got back from a doctor's appoint for Pip's club foot. Apparently, her foot is "overcorrected". This is just a nice term for: her foot is not responding to correction as one would hope. I could go on using fancy medical terms, but basically, she has to go back into casts. She'll go weekly for 4 weeks and get a new cast. Each cast will reposition her foot correctly. It's not the end of the world, but it is very frustrating. There isn't much information about club feet and we don't know what is normal or not. We've been doing what the doctors tell us. We've always asked questions about her foot and what can we do or expect in the future and we get canned answers- "Oh it's fine. Looks good." The problem the new ortho doc pointed out to us today is something both Bob and I have wondered about and asked her pediatrician and that last ortho doc she went to-but they had no clue.

My main concern is for Pip. The entire month of April will be spent wearing a cast. After that, surgery to correct the foot and then maybe multiple surgeries to get her legs an even length. I'm feeling, mind the pun, that we've taken 2 steps backward in her treatment. However, I'm glad that we were able to see a doc that gave me some answers and options. I know things will work out and that Pip will be fine. Let's just get it done!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yuck. Hopefully all the casts and surgeries pay off! Kinda stinks that it's all happening right now with graduation and moving coming up ... not to mention the new baby. Call me when you need help!

irasema said...

that sucks. sending positive thoughts your way and lots of kisses to miss pip.