Saturday, March 26, 2011

Surgery: Deja Vu

A few weeks ago I wrote about the new treatment information we were given concerning Pip's club foot. Well, it didn't go quite as planned. We arrived this past Tuesday (22nd) for our scheduled appointment up at Riley's cast clinic so Pip could get her cast. After waiting for about 3 hours, the doc finally came in to see us and informed us that he wanted a second opinion and had been talking to some other docs about Pip's foot and his recommendations for her treatment. He called over another ortho doc who, upon looking at her foot and twisting it back into it's club footed position, informed us that surgery was needed. So we were scheduled ASAP for Friday (25th). Basically- the doc said that some tendons and the Achilles cord needed to be lengthened. She would be put under anesthesia and the procedure would take about 1 1/2 hours + additional recovery time + extra time for prep and paperwork= ALL DAY! As we left the hospital, we both were feeling a sense of deja vu. We'd been down this path before: Pip's heart surgery right before our move to Indiana and the feeling of complete helplessness and overwhelming stress that accompanied it. With a sigh of sadness, I asked Bob, "Why can't this ever be easy?" It wasn't a complaint or an attempt at anyone joining my pity party. I felt sadness, stress, urgency, worry, everything you can imagine- I felt all at once. We arrived at the hospital in the morning and didn't leave until dinnertime. Pip was amazing. The nurses said she was their favorite patient: no crying, no screaming, and no problems. I'll admit I teared up as the operating nurse came in to get Pip. Piper, being so brave and fearless, wanted to walk hand in hand with the nurse to the operating room. I watched her walk away and thought, "What a brave little girl she is." I watched her until she turned the corner and disappeared.


Here we are waiting for the surgery

I teared up again when we entered Recovery and I saw my little baby sitting up, happy as a lark, guzzling a sippy full of Gatorade. She looked so peaceful and content, even though she just had surgery and was now wearing a huge red cast.

In Recovery with her sippy and big red cast.


Heading out to the car. She's making her stinky cheese face.

Pip is now in full recovery mode and aside from being a complete diva, she's doing well. She feels pain and cries every so often, but her demeanor is active and happy. She's eaten well and so far there are no signs of stress in her right foot. We'll continue to be on lockdown for this weekend as she continues to adjust and recover.
Being quite the diva. She got a fun pair of glasses from her one of her favorite people and she insists on wearing them all. the. time. She got a get well card that she calls her book and every so often she requests her "book". To answer my question, "Why can't this ever be easy?" It was. I've been blessed with an amazing child who has overcome many trials and family and friends who lent helping hands and heartfelt prayers.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Yay!! I'm glad things went so well. She truly is a special girl and you are lucky to be her parents. She looks pretty darn cute with her sunglasses. Then again, she's always pretty darn cute. :-)

Unknown said...

Glad everything went well. She IS brave and so are you!

Kate said...

That must have been so hard! I'm impressed by how brave she was and how happy she looks in all of those photos, though! Way to go in raising a brave, confident little girl!

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

Glad to hear her surgery went well. You are so strong, I admire you so much. We will be thinking of you and praying for her. Best of luck with the recovery!

irasema said...

lots of hugs and kisses for the bravest little girl i know!

Chrispy Critter said...

So glad things went well, I hope it continues to do so! You have the cutest belly!

Jessica said...

I didn't know she was headed for surgery--how sad is that? You are a brave mom (afterall, she's got to get it from someone right? Why not the one she is with all the time?? ;) ) I hope she heals up quickly and keeps up her good spirits.

You look great! Hope baby B is being a good girl!

Chelsey said...

She is such a sweetheart! As you know, Weston is quite fond of her too! The other day in the car he said, "Mom, I LOVE Piper, she is my best friend." So sweet:) He is going to be really sad when we move and leave all of his friends!