Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Resolutions

I haven't journaled my resolutions which is weird for me because I always journal my goals for the upcoming year. I try to focus on 5 areas: intellectual, spiritual, emotional, physical, and just for fun. In the past, I've been very good about achieving some of my goals. Some from the past 2 years include:

1. 2009-Read at least 10 books. This might sound silly, but I found that I was having a very hard time fitting reading into my schedule. I managed to read more than 10 books and discovered some new authors.
2. 2009- Complete 1 round of p90X. Did it. Lost 10lbs.
3. 2010- Run a 5k. Ran Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5k in September and in the grand tradition of 5ks, I discovered I was pregnant shortly after.
4. 2010- Crochet a scarf or a blanket. This one I did not complete. I tried. I really did.

There are others, but I won't list all of them here. They are written in my private journal.

Because I like to set goals that I can actually complete and ones that make me feel good about myself, I put a lot of thought into 2011's Resolutions. I've been thinking about really focusing on things that should make me a happier person. Don't get me wrong, I am a very happy person and very content with where I am. However, I feel that I've lost a bit of zeal or passion for things due to lack of money, time, energy, or just feeling uncreative.


2011 Goals
1. I want to create/make at least 1 thing each month. I read so many crafting blogs, it makes my head hurt at how much time these ladies spend on creating. Some of these women have more than 1 child and I've been lucky enough to go through pregnancies with them (via a blog). All the while, they are crafting and creating.

2. I want to be a more sincere and thoughtful person who gives cards, gives little gifts, wishes Happy Birthday to friends/family (in person not on Facebook), actually takes the time to make phone calls, and who brings treats or meals to people. I often think about doing all these things, but I never do. I get busy or sidetracked or assume that the recipient knows my intentions so it's all good. It's not. I need to be better about this.

3. I want to devote more of Pip's wakeful hours to learning and not Elmo. Bobby and I were talking about different things we can do to teach Pip. One thing I already do is a Pre-preschool with a group of other moms. Pip enjoys it so much, but it's only 2x a month. Bobby and I both felt that we should try to carve out 10-15minutes each day and focus on teaching her something instead of letting her watch Elmo. Pip loves her ABCs. So, we're going to learn a letter each week.

4. I want to journal more whether it's on the blog, in a journal, or scrapbooking. Before I blogged, I kept a fairly consistent journal or scrapbook. However, I've gotten a bit lazy in the physical act of journaling and scrapbooking. Blogging is a great tool to journal with, but it's on a openly read forum. I often feel as if I'm writing to an audience. I love being able to post pictures and share our happenings with friends and family, but I feel that many things are left unsaid for fear that they won't be interesting reads or they are too mushy, gushy. Some thoughts have been to make this completely private-no friends, no family. This is impractical since many love reading about Pip and watching her grow. So, I'll continue to blog, but I'll also focus more on actually journaling in a book with real handwriting. One thing that helped me journal was using prompts for days when not much happened.

Here's to a year of creativity and self-mastery.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I love how well-rounded your goals are, and yet they are totally do-able! I should follow your lead! :) I have used starfall.com with Hannah a lot to work on our ABCs. I don't know if that's cheating since it's on the computer, but Hannah can identify them all, capital and lower case, and I feel like a lot of it is from that website! Anyway, just a fun tip to mix it up a little. I can't wait to see posts on how your crafts and projects and goals are coming along!