Monday, January 4, 2010

We Wanted It Done Yesterday!

Upon returning from a 10+ hour drive, I went to the Post Office to pick up our mail. Inside were 2 letters from the gov't provided health care for which Piper is a recipient...or used to be. According to the letter, we had to provide a million documents proving Piper was a citizen and that I was her mother, proving that we do in fact make $580 dollars a month + a stipend, proving that by golly we do live in this state, and then to top it all off we had to have it faxed by Dec. 28 or our infant daughter with 2 congenital birth defects would be dropped. Now here is the kicker, we didn't get the letter until Dec.31.

So I got on the phone and talked to a case worker. These case workers are so used to talking to the "lessers" that they treat all as if they were a "lesser". After proving that I was a college educated woman and that this case worker wasn't talking to some baby producing meth-head, she finally decided to help me out. She started by looking up our file and seeing that half the stuff they wanted, they already had on file. EUREKA! Then she let me know that if I get the papers in pronto, they might be able to process it as if it had come in on the 28th, but Piper would be dropped from the insurance until they've finished processing. Well, gee...thanks.

Lessons I learned from this:
1. NEVER expect insurance to be smooth sailing
2. Keep copies of everything!

2 comments:

Emily said...

And people want government-run healthcare in this country.....

Lesly said...

Oh Emily, if you only knew the half of it. The original post was a novel, I condensed it.