Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Crocodile Tears

I often find myself wondering about nature vs nurture. The idea that one's traits and characteristics are either a product of their own genetic code or a product of the environment they were raised in. I am convinced that Piper came to us with her "own" personality. She has traits that I am sure are uniquely her- she could NOT have possibly learned it. Case in point:

While feeding Piper her delicious lunch (green beans and ravioli), Piper spotted her package of graham crackers. She started pointing to the crackers. So I asked, "Do you want the crackers?" She enthusiastically nodded her head, clapped her hands, smiled, and pushed the plate of ravioli to the edge of her tray- where Boo was waiting. I said, "I'm sorry, no crackers until you finish lunch. Crackers gone." and then I hid them.

Terrible idea. Piper began wailing. Not just crying-wailing. I stood my ground, "No, you can't have crackers now. Ravioli- yummm." Still, she cried- pointing to the place where the crackers once were. As if on cue, 2 equal sized tears fell from her eyes. Pitiful, but I was standing firm, "No crackers! Ravioli- goooood." Then Piper started to squeeze her eyes together, trying to make more juicy tears fall. When she realized no more tears were going to come out, she did the unthinkable...



She started laughing! Laughing- hysterically. WHAT A FAKER!!!

Bob is convinced that she learned this from me. I beg to differ. I can't think of any occasion in which she witnessed me fake crying. Hmmmm....

2 comments:

mcamp said...

oh goodness, she's a big faker but a cute faker

Kate said...

Way to stay firm! It's hard, especially when they pull out the big guns like fake crying!! That's hilarious!