Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Not-So-Muddy Mud Run: Gritty Goddess 2012

I kept seeing so many advertisements for "mud" runs that I decided I wanted to see what the hoopla was all about.  So Ms. L and I signed up for an all female mud obstacle 5K: The Gritty Goddess.  I figured it'd be easy and not too military style since it's for women only, but I didn't realize that I'd be mud-less for most of the race and aching for some type of wound of honor.  BUMMER!  I am competitive- or better said, Ms. L and I are both competitive and seeing so many participants not taking it seriously really irked us.  Our decision was simple:  go hard or go home.  We were the 3rd/4th out of the gate behind these 2 little 12 yr olds sprinting through (we're old and our "training" consisted of playing on playground equipment with our kids) and we even passed people who had started the race at least 30 minutes prior to us.  We finished the entire race with all the obstacles in less than 35minutes despite the painful waits behind dainty princesses who didn't want to get muddy or behind those who got stuck in the cargo net. We both agreed that it was fun and we had a good time, but next time we're doing it military style- where bumps and bruises are earned and you're covered in mud from start to finish.

Look it's Bret Michaels and Mr. Miagi

Our #1 FANS


3rd and 4th out of the gate

Cargo Net or should I say "holding pen"  that lady in the tutu over there really cheesed me off.  She got stuck on the cargo net and I was the fool behind her.  I was literally laying on the cargo net waiting for her to roll over.

Look I'm posing and that rainbow tutu lady is still trying to get off.  Seriously?!?  And I'm trying to do the rocker hands, but it came out all jazz hands

I photobombed all these girls' pictures.  They were posing and looking all clean.  I totally sideswiped them.
probably the hardest obstacle or most awkward and potentially dangerous:  we each held a fence post and had to run a short distance.  I ran- nearly took out a few people.  That's not me, though, that's Ms. L.  I was already finished with this obstacle. 

And the dreaded wall- don't know what I was so worried about.  I flew over that thing.
The other "muddy" area.  I stayed clean.



And we finished! 

too much Lesly for this little house!
After I got all cleaned up, I spotted my friend and neighbor Ms. Jenn.  She was running in a later wave. 

"easy" Mud Run- check!
Gritty Goddess 2012

1 comment:

mcamp said...

Neat! I'm very impressed and proud at all the marathons you've been doing. This looks like fun. I think I would've been the tutu lady myself lol.