Friday, May 21, 2010

Houston, we have a problem...

I think I'm in love.


This summer Bobby is completing an internship for CenterPoint Energy (an energy company in d'town Houston, TX). Living in Texas has always eluded us-we applied to UT for MBA school-so when Bob got this offer we were really excited. This past week I spent some time in Texas helping Bobby get settled into his new bachelor pad. I arrived on Saturday, but since we couldn't move in to his apartment until Monday, we stayed at a hotel. For the first 2 days I was there, I felt like a tourist. But after we "moved" into the apartment, Houston actually felt like "home". I kept thinking to myself, "I could see us living in Texas." I mean seriously (and this is total blasphemy), I can hear Pip going "Hook 'em horns!" (my Bama friends are going to kill me for that one). The heat and humidity are terrible (and it's only May) and they have concrete roads (everywhere, not just interstate) -combine that with the sun and you have a very hot, blinding surface. I got a headache every time we drove somewhere because it was so bright. Everywhere you go takes 30minutes or longer and traffic is downright scary. Other than that, it's fabulous! I'm sad that I'll be staying here in Bloomington and won't get to experience every facet of Houston, but what I saw made me excited at the idea of living there.

Another thing that shocked me about Houston was that I really thought of myself as a suburb type of person. Bobby's apartment is a city apartment-heavily gated to keep the riffraff out, surrounded by office buildings, and barely out of "the loop". After being in the thick of it, the burbs seem...boring.

No comments: